FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When are your services?
- We offer 2 weekly services. Our 9:00 a.m. service is more traditional in nature, and is held in the sanctuary. Our adult choir sings most Sundays, and the music selections tend to be traditional (hymns). Our 11:15 a.m. service, known as “The Back Door Church” is held in Fellowship hall. The music choices, led by a small group known as “The Sweet Inspirations”, are contemporary and easy to learn. Both services of worship last for approximately one hour.
- How should I dress?
- For the 9:00 a.m. service, you will see men in suits and ties, and others in sweaters or button down shirts. Women will typically wear skirts, dresses or slacks. For The Back Door Church, everyone is encouraged to dress casually, but neatly. Most in attendance will be wearing jeans or khakis and casual shirts/sweaters.
- Where should I sit?
- Feel free to sit anywhere you like.
- Are children permitted to attend worship services?
- Absolutely! The pastor does “A Time for Children” segment towards the beginning of the 9:00 service. After this special time, parents of children ages 5 and under have the option to escort their little ones back to our Nursery, which offers childcare until the service concludes. However, parents are also welcome to drop their children off at the nursery before worship begins.
- Do you have other options for children?
- When children reach age 9 and have grown beyond our nursery age, they have the option of attending either service in its entirety. During the 9:00 service, Children’s Worship Workshop is offered for 4 – 10 year olds on alternating Sundays. The boys and girls are dismissed immediately following “A Time for Children.” While no breakout program is offered during The Back Door Church, most parents agree that their younger ones do well with the casual atmosphere of this service.
- The One Room Schoolhouse is a Sunday school program offered between services to children of all ages. The class typically begins at 10:30 and ends at 11:10.
- Is communion served?
- Communion is celebrated approximately 13 times a year at the 9:00 a.m. service. It is celebrated every Sunday at The Back Door Church, using the ancient ritual of intinction. When communion is served at both services, a time for healing and wholeness is offered. This is a special ministry we have been doing since the year 2000. More information on communion can be found here.
- What are your requirements to receive communion?
- If you trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you are welcome to receive communion.
- Can I attend more than one worship service without becoming a member?
- Yes! We want you to get a feel for who we are and what we can offer. This is not always accomplished with a single visit.
- Discovering Church Membership Class 101
When guests express an interest in joining, we offer one class, three hours in length, which meets on different dates in order to offer a flexible schedule. Those wishing to join the church will then meet with the Session, and then publicly profess their faith at either one of our worship services.
- What is Donegal Presbyterian Church really like? Will I fit in?
- One of the best things about our congregation is our diverse population. You will find people of all ages and backgrounds. In addition, one commonality you will notice is that you are welcomed by everyone you meet.